The predecessor of Tamsalu Gymnasium was the village school founded in 1868. In 1909, it became Nõmküla 8-year Ministerial School. There were three teachers: the head teacher Karl Augas and teachers Veera Augas and August Merits. Until 1916, the language of instruction was Russian.
Tamsalu Secondary school was founded in 1957. The new school building was finished in 1982 and since 15 February 1995 the school is called Tamsalu Gümnaasium (Gymnasium).